Monday, August 2, 2010

The Killing Edge by Heather Graham

I just finished this one by Heather Graham and she has definitely penned another winner. Of course I am a big fan of Ms. Graham and honestly haven't read anything by her that I didn't like.  This one started out with the action full course and stayed strong through to the finish.
Blurb:
Chloe Marin was lucky. She was just a teenager when a party at a Florida beach side mansion turned into a savage killing spree, and she was one of the few to survive.  Bloody handwriting on the walls pointed to a cult whose rituals included human sacrifice. Chloe's sketch of one of the killers linked two dead cult members found in the Everglades to the massacre, closing the case as far as the cops were concerned.
Ten years later Chloe works as a psychologist specializing in art therapy to help traumatized victims, and on the side she finds release in her passion for the martial arts.  Police who hire her as a consultant know she's a literal kick-ass advocate for victims who can't always speak for themselves.
The current disappearance of a young swimsuit model ranks low on the cops' priority list.  Everyone assumes the girl has run off for some fun in the sun, instead of getting ready for a photo suit. Everyone but Chloe, who suspects a killer is using the modeling agency to stalk his prey. When the ghost of the model appears, asking Chloe for help, she knows that she has to do everything she can.
So does Luke Cane, A British ex-cop-turned-P.I. investigating the disappearance of the model on behalf of her father. Chloe and Luke have trouble trusting each other, but they can't help their strong attraction for one another.  Luckily they agree on the important things: someone needs to find those missing girls, and if a few laws have to get bent so lives can be saved, too bad.

My take:
Great read from the first page.  I have to say that her ghost stories are my favorite.  I picked this one up hoping that Adam Harrison and his investigation crew would make an appearance.  I have to admit that Adam is a personal favorite of mine..as are the Blackhawks. I think I might be a little in love with Brent Blackhawk.  And I wasn't disappointed as all three make an appearance in this book.
The characters are real and I found myself liking them and feeling for the survivors of the teen massacre.  I especially liked Chloe who refused to play the victim again.  She was smart, savvy and could kick ass.  I like that in my heroines.  I also likes that Luke had a past as well, one that played well off of hers.  They had that connection.  Plus he can really kick ass too.  I could hear his British accent in my head when I read his lines.
I enjoyed the play and banter between these two.  I loved the way Chloe treated her worried uncle, who had raised her when her parents died, with respect not pulling the whole, "I'm an adult and you can't tell me what to do" thing.  It made her even more likable for me.
I do have to admit that I had the killer marked from the very beginning but not the motives.  But I am a huge fan and have read most of Ms. Graham's books.  Nonetheless, I enjoyed every page and can't wait to pick up her next story.  I have no doubts it will be another amazing read!

Lacey Thorn
It's your world...unlaced
http://www.lacythorn.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment