Monday, November 22, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

According to wikipedia this is how Thanksgiving is described:  Thanksgiving Day, known informally as Turkey Day, is a harvest festival celebrated primarily in the United States and Canada. Thanksgiving was a holiday to express thankfulness, gratitude, and appreciation to God, family and friends for which all have been blessed of material possessions and relationships. Traditionally, it has been a time to give thanks for a bountiful harvest. This holiday has since moved away from its religious roots.

Sad that the holiday is said to have moved away from its roots.  Not in our family! This is our favorite holiday of the year. We always get together as a family, aunts, uncles, cousins, moms, dads, brothers and sisters and spend the day laughing, chatting, arguing and just being a family.  Great food, funny stories and lots of smiles and hugs.  That is what this holiday is for me.

This was always my mother's favorite holiday as well and I guess she passed that love onto her children. The house would smell like heaven for at least a week or more as she baked and prepared.  Homemade pies, fudge and even peanut brittle. Then the day of, man my mouth still waters thinking of the smells.  I miss those times almost as much as I miss her.

Now I look to my children and try to create some of the same memories for them. After all they are memories that will last a lifetime.

So to all of you...HAPPY THANKSGIVING this week.  As I will be rushed preparing for the holiday and guests this week I might not make it back to blog! LOL  So have a great day. Enjoy every moment spent with those you love most and horde them until this time next year...the memories not the people! LOL

Happy Reading!

Lacey Thorn
It's your world...unlaced
http://www.lacythorn.com/

1 comment:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving, Lacey! Our family is the same way and I hope my children continue the tradition.

    ReplyDelete