Monday, January 7, 2013

Monday's Muse: Addictions

We all have those things in our lives that draw us away from what we should be doing. My drug of choice use to be a great book. Some days it still is. I could spend hours and hours reading, just submerging myself in the story, plot and characters. Even though there are dishes in the sink, laundry to fold, or any number of things needing my attention, I read.

For the last few years, I've been lost in a world that exists inside my computer. World of Warcraft. I love this game. I've met some great friends in game that have crossed over to real life friends. I can play for hours and hours, questing or running dungeons or raids. There is always a ton of dailys to do, a list of rep grinds that I need to get. I want all the cool mounts and toys. There's always a toon to level or get gear for. And when I am bored, I make yet another one.

Now, to be fair, I've written several stories that brewed in my mind while playing WoW. My Blood Magic series first took form while running through Azgalor. And my Demon Chronicles is based on my Warlock, though I named her for my Hunter, Serephin. Submerging myself in that world can be so invigorating, so creatively uplifting. I unwind. I de-stress. As my good friend would say, "We kill shit." And we do. I love every moment of it.

But I've noticed that too many things are taking a back seat to my gaming. Things that shouldn't. So...as much as it pains me. I'm going to have to cut back on my playing time. This won't be easy. To give you a good idea, my normal day always includes at least two hours of play time...minimum. Usually a lot more. So this will be very hard for me. I might need a meeting or two, or five dozen, lol. Honestly, I just have to remind myself what I'm getting done in lieu of playing. And I'm not quitting! Never! Just cutting back. Even if it kills me...sigh...

Mostly, I just have to take it one day at a time. And when my hands are shaking and I have sweat on my brow from the lure of that Wow icon on my computer... Well, I'll just have to take a deep breath and walk away. Notice, I'm not quitting. So the icon remains. Besides I'm not learning control by removing the temptation.

Okay...Deep breath....Here I go...

Happy Reading!

Lacey Thorn
It's your world...unlaced...
www.lacythorn.com

Twitter: @laceythorn1
Facebook: Author Lacey Thorn

No comments:

Post a Comment