Monday, October 28, 2013

Monday's Mother Moment: A Child's Logic...?

So, my daughter comes home today with a note for me from the school nurse. I'm driving so I place the sealed envelope on my purse.
"Did you go to the nurse today?"
"Nope. They called me down and gave this to me to bring home?"
"Do you know what it's about?"
"Nope."
Me...thinking...
"Do you know if any of the kids in your class have lice?"
"I don't think so. And stop talking about that! You're making my head itch."
I catch myself lifting my hand to scratch my head.
"So no idea?"
"Nope. Want me to open it for you?"
"Nope. I'll wait until we get home."

Turns out she didn't do so well on her in school eye screening. Not a big surprise since both her brother and sister wear glasses. Plus mom wears them or contacts as well. But my youngest is beside herself about the prospect of glasses. I'm telling her it will be fine, but she's not believing me.

Finally, just before her bed time, we get to the heart of her fear. She comes into my office to talk.

"Mom, what are we going to do if I need glasses?"
"Pick out the cutest pair we can find."
"I'll look good in any of them." She shrugs off my words.
"Okay." I'm lost. If she's not worried about how she'll look then where is this going?
"Glasses might cost a lot of money."
Ahhh...light bulb moment here. I'm always telling my kids we are broke. Otherwise, they're "have to have" list of things would make sure we were always broke.
"I think we can afford glasses for you."
"Will you have to get married?"
Me...blink...blink...blink...
"What?"
"If I have to get glasses, and they cost a lot, you might have to get married and I don't want you to get married again right now."

WTF?????
"I don't think I'll need to get remarried to get you glasses."
"Okay. I'm going to bed then. Night mom."

Holy cow!!!!! All of that over the potential of needing glasses! God forbid we ever hear the "b" word...BRACES!

Until next time, Happy Reading!

Lacey Thorn
It's your world...unlaced...
www.lacythorn.com

2 comments: