Monday, November 11, 2013

Monday's Amusement: The 5K Experience

So, as many of you know, I ran my first 5k this weekend. I went into it with a positive, if somewhat nervous, attitude. Positive since I had so many friends running it as well as my son, who swore he'd stay with me the whole way! Thankfully, he did or I'm not sure I'd have made it, lol!

So I wasn't feeling great on Friday. I knew I had the race on Saturday so I skipped my Friday AM Insanity class just to be safe. Then Saturday morning I really focused on stretching my thighs. Now, my thighs have been tight since I added kickboxing to my workout schedule that already includes three days of Insanity. Insane, right? Ha ha ha ha. But I'm convicted to get this body of mine back into tip top shape!

So I focused on the sore thighs, stretching and bouncing, warming up. Now, something else to remember is this is an outdoor run, which I NEVER do. I'm a gym rat and make no apologies for it. I love to go to the gym and workout. Don't get me wrong. I love to be outdoors, but I'm there to soak up the sun and enjoy nature. But this race was outside. I knew it would be different, but was totally unprepared for how my body would react to the uneven tread and environmental changes.

So....we get the signal and we're off. I'm at the front of the pack and feeling great! Until we hit the bridge...and my right calf seizes up with a Charlie horse the size of a softball!!!! OMG!!!!! I'm panting. Trying to keep running, moving funny, I'm sure, while I try to stretch it with each jogging step forward. It's not loosening up!!! I'm dying. Dying, I swear!

Less than a quarter mile later...you guessed it...the other one seizes up! HOLY MOTHER OF ALL THAT IS SACRED!!!! WTF!!!!!! Both calves are now cramped up. I'm barely jogging, biting my lip to hold the screams at bay. Are you freaking kidding me????

My son: (noticing mom is slowing down and popping an earbud out) Keep running, mom. You got this.

Me: Both calves. Cramped. Can't loosen them up. What do I do????

Him: (sighing) I don't know. Never had it happen. Keep running.

Me: Gotta walk it out.

This is where I make the mistake of stopping for a few seconds to try and loosen the muscles up.

Him: Run, mom. Run. Don't stop. Don't stop.

So after a few seconds, I'm back to jogging.

Now...my son is an outdoor runner. Not because he particularly loves running, but because he is an athlete and has to. He is not even breaking a sweat keeping pace with me. I'm such a loser, lol! But, he stayed with me.

Then, the worst thing ever happens. My earbuds go on the fritz! Left one quits working completely. Right one is fading in and out, either blaring or barely playing. Are you kidding me!?????? I need my Macklemore! I need Eminem! I need Nickleback, Skillet, Pink, Pitbull! How do I run without my tunes to keep my feet moving???? Shoot me now!!!

Then my phone rings! Are you kidding me??? Everyone knows I'm running this morning because I've told everyone, everyone! This is my first official race and I told everyone! Oh, God! I have to finish because I told everyone! The ringtone tells me it is my ex-husband.

My son: Phone, mom.

Me: It's your dad. He screwed up my music. Leave it to your dad to screw up my first run. (LOL, on a side not, I do not hate my ex. He is a great guy and a great dad. It was just the timing!)

My son: (trying not to laugh at me) I'll call him back.

So he does. While I'm huffing and puffing to keep running, he is beside me talking to his dad as if he's out for a Sunday stroll, which is just depressing. He hangs up and turns around to run backwards in front of me. We both have no music at this point. He is just talking to me, telling me how great I'm doing and to just keep going. HE IS AWESOME!

As we get closer to the finish line, he's trying to talk me into sprinting.

My son: Let's sprint this out, mom. You can do this.

Me: I don't want to sprint. I just want to finish.

My son: You got this, mom. Let's pick it up.

Me: I just want to cross the finish line. I don't need to sprint.

My son: Look at those people, mom. They're all cheering for you. They're waiting for you to cross the line.

Me: (pretty sure I was glaring at this point but I had sunglasses on so no one could tell) Grrrrrrrrr......

But I picked the pace up and was really running when I crossed the line. I didn't do such a bad job for my first official run, but I have a lot of work to do before I try another one. First off, I need to start running outside!!!! Big difference from a treadmill or an elliptical! Huge difference! But I did it!!!! I ran my first official 5k.

Sadly, my cramped calves lasted for two days. I could barely walk the rest of Saturday. Sunday I was in the same boat! Hurt like hell and I kept questioning my sanity in running! But today I can move and I'm pretty sure I'll head into the gym later for a run...or should I hit the pavement instead....Who knows!

Here's a picture of my gorgeous son with his mom before the race! Did I mention how awesome he is???

Until next time, Happy Reading!

Lacey Thorn
It's your world...unlaced...
www.lacythorn.com

No comments:

Post a Comment